2020 Husqvarna Motorcycles FE 501s
Call for Price
The new FE 501s is refined in the most impressive way and houses the strongest engine in the Husqvarna dual-sport range. Despite having large internal moving components, a counter balance shaft keeps vibration to a minimum, so you can enjoy its seemingly limitless power for hours on end. As on all Husqvarna Motorcycles, high quality finishes and premium components ensure the new FE 501s meets the highest levels of quality and craftsmanship.
- Engine: The most powerful engine in the Husqvarna Motorcycles FE line-up, the 510.4 cc power plant is more advanced than ever while only weighing 64.8 lbs. The FE 501s delivers colossal performance in all conditions with a lightweight 6-speed tansmission and DDS (Dampened Diaphragm Steel) clutch.
- Cylinder Head: A new compact design has resulted in the SOHC cylinder head being 15 mm lower and 500 g lighter. This has also moved the camshaft closer to the center of gravity, improving handling, while shorter valve timing improves bottom end performance and responsiveness. New rocker arms actuating four lightweight valves are shorter, with 40 mm titanium intake valves and 33 mm steel exhaust valves. An improved cam surface, low-friction DLC coating on the rocker arm and shorter low-friction chain guides also provide optimized efficiency and reliability.
- Cylinder And Piston: Improvements to the cylinder and piston setup in the FE 501s has seen the compression ratio increase from 11.7:1 to 12.75:1. This is thanks to a lightweight aluminum cylinder featuring a 95 mm bore and a new lightweight Konig forged bridge-box-type piston. This is perfectly matched to the high compression combustion chamber. Further weight saving sees a 10% lighter piston pin. This combination produces very little oscillating mass significantly reducing vibration and increasing rider comfort.
- Crankcases: The crankcases are designed to house the shaft arrangements and internals of the engine in the best possible position, centralizing masses for a lightweight handling feel. High-pressure die cast production processes result in a thin but reliable wall thickness and keeping weight to a minimum.
- Frame: The new chrome-moly steel frame is expertly crafted using laser-cut, robot-welded, hydro-formed tubes, ensuring the highest level of precision and quality. While retaining the advanced geometry of its predecessor, it features an increase in longitudinal and torsional rigidity, for improved rider feedback, better energy absorption and increased stability. The cylinder head mountings are made of forged aluminum, further improving handling and comfort. The premium blue powder coated frame features standard frame protectors, providing extra durability.
- Composite Carbon Fibre Subframe: The carbon composite subframe is unique to Husqvarna Motorcycles and showcases pioneering technology and innovation. Using 70% polyamide and 30% carbon fiber, the new 2-piece subframe saves 250 g for a total weight of just over 2.2 lbs. Light, robust and now 50 mm longer, the new subframe delivers improved rigidity, handling and rider comfort.
- Exhaust: The exhaust system is expertly designed to deliver class-leading performance at the lowest possible weight. The header pipe is designed and manufactured in two pieces, to be as compact as possible. It also features a new joining position, which allows it to be removed without having to take out the rear shock. Further innovation allows for a shorter, more compact silencer without increasing noise levels. The component is crafted from lightweight aluminum and is stylishly finished off in a new coating that highlights its premium quality.
- Integrated Cooling And Radiators: The radiators are expertly crafted using high strength aluminum with CFD (computational fluid dynamics) to channel air through the radiators more efficiently. The cooling system is intelligently integrated into the frame, eliminating the need for additional hoses. New for 2020, is a 4 mm larger center tube running through the frame. This reduces pressure at this point, allowing for a more consistent coolant flow. Additionally, the new radiators are mounted 12 mm lower, closer to the center of gravity for improved handling agility. A radiator fan comes fitted as standard.
- WP Xplor Fork: The WP XPLOR 48 mm front fork is designed specifically for dual-sport riding. Its open cartridge layout has a spring in each leg with split damping functions. Compression damping in the left leg and rebound damping in the right. Adjustment is via easy-to-access clickers (30 clicks) on the top of each fork leg. For 2020, the standard preload adjusters allow for easier adjustment without the use of tools. The fork's updated mid-valve piston delivers more consistent damping, while a new setting allows the fork to operate higher in the stroke for improved rider feedback and bottoming resistance.
- Wr Rear Shock: Featuring a new main piston and updated base setting to match the new frame and front end, the WP XACT shock provides advanced damping characteristics to the new range. The compact and lightweight shock features a pressure balance inside, ensuring consistent damping and superior rider comfort. Using the same linkage progression found in the Husqvarna Motocross range, the rear end now sits lower, for improved control in extreme conditions. The fully adjustable component delivers 11.8 in rear wheel travel, as well as unrivalled traction, feeling and energy absorption.
- Magura Brakes: The Magura braking system is designed for high sensitivity, providing a modulated feel while delivering superior stopping power. GSK wave disks (260 mm disc front and 220 mm rear) complete the high-quality braking package for complete confidence.
- Bodywork: The FE 501s features new bodywork which clearly showcases Husqvarna Motorcycles' pioneering approach to off-road motorcycle design. The ergonomics are specifically tailored to deliver greater comfort and control. As a result of extensive testing, the contact points have been slimmed down, making shifting between riding positions easier and allowing the rider to flow with movement. Thanks to the improved packaging of the wiring harness, the new seat profile reduces the seat height by 10 mm and together with the new seat cover, delivers superior comfort and control in all conditions.
- Tool-Less Air Filter Access: The airbox is designed with precisely positioned inlet ducts aimed at preventing air deformation and ensuring maximum airflow and filter protection. The air filter is easily accessed, without tools, by removing the left side panel. Easy maintenance is guaranteed by the Twin Air filter and filter cage design that features a simple fail proof mounting system for safe and accurate filter installation.
- Magura Hydraulic Clutch: The FE 501s features a 42 mm Keihin throttle body optimized for throttle response. The injector is positioned to ensure the most efficient flow into the combustion chamber while the throttle cable is mounted directly without a throttle linkage. This provides an immediate throttle response and improved feel.
- Electric Start And Wiring Harness: The FE 510s comes standard with an electric starter. The system uses a compact and lightweight Li-Ion battery which is 2.2 lbs lighter than a conventional battery. With several years of experience developing and perfecting electric starting, the proven reliability on the 2020 models is second to none, ensuring a quick and seamless start in any condition. Additionally, for 2020, an optimized wiring harness improves the packaging and concentrates all needed electrical components into a common area below the seat for easy accessibility.
- Magura Clutch: German-made, reliable and high quality, the Magura clutch system constantly compensates for any play in the lever, maintaining the pressure point and function of the clutch. This means modulation remains the same in cold or hot conditions, as well as over time. This also guarantees even wear and near maintenance-free operation.
- Displacement: 510.9 cm³
- Design: 1-cylinder, 4-stroke engine
- Bore: 95 mm
- Stroke: 72 mm
- Starter: Electric starter
- Transmission: 6-speed
- Clutch: Wet, DDS multi-disc clutch, Magura hydraulics
- EMS: Keihin EMS
- Frame design: Central double-cradle-type 25CrMo4 steel
- Rear suspension: WP shock absorber with linkage
- Suspension travel (front): 300 mm
- Suspension travel (rear): 300 mm
- Front brake: Disc brake
- Rear brake: Disc brake
- Front brake disc diameter: 260 mm
- Rear brake disc diameter: 220 mm
- Chain: X-Ring 5/8 x 1/4"
- Steering head angle: 63.5 °
- Ground clearance: 360 mm
- Seat height: 950 mm
- Tank capacity (approx.): 9 l
- Weight without fuel: 108.4 kg
- Engine Type
- 1-cylinder, 4-stroke engine
- 510.9 cm³
- Fuel System
- Keihin EMS
- Final Drive
- Chain: X-Ring 5/8 x 1/4 in.
- Rear Suspension
- WP shock absorber with linkage
- Front Brakes
- Disc brake
- Rear Brakes
- Disc brake
- Seat Height
- 950 mm