2017 Honda CRF450X
It’s a dream everyone had, but nobody could deliver on—until Honda invented the CRF450X. The light weight and power of a motocross bike, available to trail riders, Baja demons, and cross-country racers everywhere. But actually the CRF450X is a whole lot better than just an MX bike off the track. It gets a ton of specialized touches and refinements that hone it for the trail.
Honda engineers fine-tuned everything from the steering geometry, suspension, and power delivery to better suit off-road riding. Additional extras like the Honda Progressive Steering Damper make it a bike you’ll appreciate for a lot longer than just a 20-minute moto: It not only helps reduce rider fatigue but also improves the CRF450X’s cornering. And then there’s the CRF450X’s Honda Unicam® engine—tough enough to survive Baja, it can easily survive one of your weekend rides. Best of all, the CRF450X features both an electric starter and a kickstarter, so you get both convenience and supreme reliability—exactly the traits, along with performance, that make the CRF450X the machine of choice for cross-country riders everywhere.
The Power to Win: Utilizing a Unicam® cylinder head, the CRF450X’s 449cc liquid-cooled four stroke puts out maximum power over a wide rpm band.
Easy Starts: Our push-button electric starter offers all-around convenience, whether you’re starting out on your ride or quickly restarting in tough conditions.
Control Freak: Perfected on the MX circuit, the Honda Progressive Steering Damper not only improves cornering, but also helps reduce arm fatigue.
- 449cc Unicam® Engine: Honda’s Unicam cylinder heads combine the best of single- and double-overhead-cam designs. The configuration contributes to a compact engine that saves weight over a comparable dual-overhead-camshaft motor and also permits a narrow included valve angle. This flattens the combustion chamber to facilitate ignition flame propagation, allowing a high compression ratio. Since less space is taken up in the cylinder head, the camshaft sits lower in the head for a more compact engine and a lower center of gravity.
- Dual Radiators: Dual radiators feature a refined core area for improved heat dissipation compared with conventional dual-radiator designs. Coolant recovery tank is located in front of the engine between the frame downtubes for improved center of gravity. Coolant tank is protected by a plastic skid plate.
- Gear-Driven Counterbalancer: Gear-Driven Counterbalancer reduces vibration and drives the water pump. Eight clutch plates provide the surface area necessary to handle the engine's massive torque, while carefully matched clutch springs provide a light feel at the lever.
- Twin-Sump Lubrication: Twin-sump lubrication system separates the oil supply for the crankshaft, and the piston and valve train from the clutch and transmission. This ensures a cool supply of oil to the clutch, eliminates clutch and transmission material contamination of the engine oil, reduces the amount of circulating oil and permits the use of a smaller oil pump.
- Titanium Intake Valves: Lightweight titanium intake valves permit use of smaller valve springs, reducing overall engine height.
- HPSD: Perfected on the MX circuit, the Honda Progressive Steering Damper™ (HPSD™) not only improves cornering, but also helps reduce arm fatigue. The damping ratio varies according to handlebar-deflection speed and position, returning both improved stability and light, responsive handling.
- Works-Style Front Brake: Compact twin-piston front brake caliper, anodized-aluminum brake pistons and lightweight 240mm front disc offer great stopping power while minimizing unsprung weight for improved turning and handling.
- Works-Style Rear Brake: HRC works-type rear brake system uses a 240mm brake rotor to its integrated rear master-cylinder and fluid reservoir, a set-up that eliminates the separate reservoir and hose.
- 18-Inch Rear Wheel: 18-inch rear wheel features same lightweight rear hub and HRC works-type lightweight-aluminum spoke nipples as used on CRF250R.
- Renthal Handlebar: Aluminum Renthal handlebar (971 bend) is rubber-mounted to help reduce rider fatigue and improve comfort.
- Electric Starter: Electric start system ensures trouble-free starting in all conditions. Electric starter also drives the clutch side of the crankshaft to provide superior lubrication to starter gears while producing a narrow engine with a short, strong crank.
- Superior Ergonomics: Placing the rider’s legs at the narrowest part of the frame helps improve comfort and handling.
- LED Taillight: LED taillight integrated into rear fender. It’s light, compact and rigid.
- Engine Type: 449cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke
- Bore And Stroke: 96mm x 62mm
- Induction: Keihin® 40mm flat-slide carburetor with Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)
- Ignition: CD with electronic advance and lighting coil
- Compression Ratio: 12.0:1
- Valve Train: Unicam®, four-valve, 35mm intake valve, 30mm exhaust valve
- Starting: Electric and Kick
- Transmission: Wide-ratio five-speed
- Final Drive: #520 T-ring-sealed chain; 13T/51T
- Front Suspension: 47mm inverted Showa® cartridge fork with 16-position rebound and 16-position compression-damping adjustability; 12.4 in. travel
- Rear Suspension: Pro-Link® Showa® single shock with adjustable spring-preload, 17-position rebound-damping adjustability, and compression-damping adjustment separated into low-speed (13 positions) and high-speed (3.5 turns); 12.4 in. travel.
- Front Brake: Single 240mm disc with twin-piston caliper
- Rear Brake: Single 240mm disc
- Front Tire: 80/100-21
- Rear Tire: 110/100-18
- Rake: 27.10 deg. (Caster Angle)
- Trail: 110mm (4.3 in.)
- Wheelbase: 58.3 in.
- Seat Height: 37.9 in.
- Curb Weight: 269 lb. (includes all standard equipment, required fluids and a full tank of fuel-ready to ride)
- Fuel Capacity: 1.9 gal., including 0.4 gal. reserve
- Ground Clearance: 13.6 in.
- Model Id: CRF450X
- Emissions: Meets current California Air Resources Board (CARB) and EPA off-road emissions standards.
- Available Colors: Red
- Engine Type
- Single-cylinder four-stroke
- 449 cc
- Bore and Stroke
- 96mm x 62mm
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Keihin® 40mm flat-slide carburetor with Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)
- CD with electronic advance and lighting coil
- Front Suspension
- 47mm inverted Showa® cartridge fork with 16-position rebound and 16-position compression-damping adjustability; 12.4 in. travel
- Front Brakes
- Single 240mm disc with twin-piston caliper
- Front Tire
- Rear Suspension
- Pro-Link® Showa® single shock with adjustable spring-preload, 17-position rebound-damping adjustability, and compression-damping adjustment separated into low-speed (13 positions) and high-speed (3.5 turns); 12.4 in. travel.
- Rear Brakes
- Single 240mm disc
- Rear Tire
- Dry Weight
- Curb Weight: 269 lb.
- Fuel Capacity
- 1.9 gal., including 0.4 gal. reserve
- 58.3 in.
- Ground Clearance
- 13.6 in.
- Seat Height
- 37.9 in.
- 4.3 in. (110mm)
- 27.10 deg. (Caster Angle)
- Wide-ratio five-speed
- Final Drive
- #520 T-ring-sealed chain; 13T/51T