2015 KTM 250 SX
Call for Price
The 250 SX is regarded as the motocross motorcycle with the best power-to-weight ratio. The lightweight 2-stroke engine scores highly with unrivalled performance packed in an extremely light chassis – a formidable rival for the costlier 4-stroke competitors.
- Frame: The modern frame design of the SX models, comprising lightweight, high strength, chrome-molybdenum steel section tubes, combines maximum longitudinal stiffness with optimum torsional stiffness. A forged and milled cross-tube connects the two frame halves with the connecting rod of the linkage on the new SX frame for 2015. Omission of the weld seams leads to very precise manufacturing tolerances and greater safety - moreover, it saves another 60 grams of weight.
- Linkage / Shock Absorber: The revamped damping system for MY 2015 features a new linkage with optimized geometry. The flatter progression with a higher initial rate ensures greater stability and lowers the rear end. In addition, the new design saves another 40 grams of weight. The fully adjustable WP 5018 shock absorber has been completely retuned to suit the new linkage.
- Fork: The fully adjustable upside-down fork from WP Suspension has been perfectly tuned to the new rear wheel damping system and the new 22 mm front axle (formerly 26 mm) for MY 2015. The new axle provides a better feel for the front wheel and also saves a further 40 grams. The new fork stubs now feature an offset of 33 mm instead of 35 mm, which together with increased trail deliver greater ride stability. Furthermore, they accommodate newly developed, 50 gram lighter fork protectors.
- Triple Clamps: High quality, CNC-machined triple clamps have long since been standard equipment at KTM. They ensure precise handling and provide a perceptible boost to the flexing characteristics and hence the responsiveness of the telescopic fork. The new O-ring carrier for the lower steering head bearing, a revised shaft tube and the new steering head bolt save another 40 grams.
- Bodywork: KTM engineers have focused on designing the bodywork ergonomically and functionally in such a way that the whole motorcycle is in perfect harmony with the rider down to the very last detail. The front fender is a perfect example of how molded plastic components can gain maximum stability with a well thought out structure and well-conceived attachment.
- Graphics: A new, refined graphic design with clear lines underlines the high demands made of a modern, state-of-the-art offroad motorcycle.
- Seat: The ergonomically perfectly designed seat is equipped with a durable foam core, ensuring both greater comfort and higher stability.
- Airbox: At the same time, the design of the airbox guarantees optimum protection of the air filter from dirt plus maximum air throughput for the highest performance. Quick replacement of the twin-air filter - without tools and in a matter of seconds - has long since been an unrivalled KTM standard.
- Fuel Tank: All models in the SX range are equipped with a 7.5 liter, lightweight polyethylene fuel tank. The fuel pump system used on the 4-stroke motocross models is the same as that used on the 4-stroke enduro models, thereby allowing optional fitting of larger tanks from the PowerParts range or from the enduro models.
- Handlebar: All SX models are equipped with the extremely sturdy, tapered Renthal Fatbar 827 handlebar that features an offset specially designed to meet the demands of motocross. In accordance with the proven KTM standard, the handlebar can be fixed in a choice of four positions. For MY 2015, it is equipped with softer two-component grips to spare the rider's hands.
- Wheels: The wheels fitted for MY 2015 feature black coated, high-end Excel rims with lightweight, CNC-machined hubs and spokes with lightweight aluminum nipples, allowing highest levels of stability to be achieved, while keeping weight to a minimum. New Dunlop Geomax MX 52 tires were developed in collaboration with the KTM USA factory team and offer perfect traction with top performance. The new rear sprockets save 50 grams in unsprung mass.
- Brakes: High-tech brakes from Brembo have always been standard equipment on KTM offroad bikes and, together with the lightweight wave brake discs, they are the measure of all things in terms of brake technology. As the best brakes in the motocross class, they remain unchanged for MY 2015.
- Engine: The powerful KTM 250 SX engine unites an unbeatable power-to-weight ratio with outstanding performance and extremely easy handling.
- Clutch: A new DDS clutch (Damped Diaphragm Steel) with diaphragm spring and wear-free steel cage is fitted to the KTM 250 SX engine. The diaphragm spring, which preloads the package, not only reduces the operating force required to pull the clutch, but also provides space for integrated hub damping. The result: more traction and protection for the transmission. And with updated hydraulic clutch actuation from Brembo, the rider has everything under control right from the start.
- Design: 1-cylinder 2-stroke engine, water-cooled, with reed intake and exhaust control
- Displacement: 249 cm³
- Bore: 66.4 mm
- Stroke: 72 mm
- Starting aid: Kickstarter
- Transmission: 5 gear, claw shifted
- Primary ratio: 26:72
- Final drive: 13:48
- Clutch: Wet multi-disc clutch / Brembo hydraulics
- Ignition system: Contactless, controlled, fully electronic ignition system with digital ignition timing adjustment, type Kokusan
- Frame: Central tube frame made of chrome molybdenum steel tubing
- Fork: WP Suspension Up Side Down 4860 MXMA 4CS
- Shock absorber: WP Suspension 5018 BAVP DCC
- Suspension travel Front: 300 mm
- Suspension travel Rear: 317 mm
- Brake system: Disc brakes, brake calipers on floating bearings
- Brake discs - diameter Front: 260 mm
- Brake discs - diameter Rear: 220 mm
- Chain: 520 X-ring
- Steering head angle: 63.5 deg.
- Wheel base: 1,495±10 mm
- Ground clearance (unloaded): 385 mm
- Seat height (unloaded): 992 mm
- Total fuel tank capacity approx.: 7.5 L - Unleaded premium fuel (95 octane), mixed with 2-stroke engine oil (1:60)
- Weight without fuel approx.: 97.5 kg
- Engine Type
- 1-cylinder 2-stroke engine, water-cooled, with reed intake and exhaust control
- 249 cm³
- Bore and Stroke
- 66.4 mm x 72 mm
- Contactless, controlled, fully electronic ignition system with digital ignition timing adjustment, type Kokusan
- Front Suspension
- WP Suspension Up Side Down 4860 MXMA 4CS
- Front Brakes
- Disc brakes, brake calipers on floating bearings
- Rear Suspension
- WP Suspension 5018 BAVP DCC
- Rear Brakes
- Disc brakes, brake calipers on floating bearings
- Dry Weight
- 97.5 kg
- Fuel Capacity
- 7.5 L
- 1,495±10 mm
- Ground Clearance
- 385 mm
- Seat Height
- 992 mm
- 5 gear, claw shifted
- Final Drive
- 520 X-ring chain